Correspondence is performed in Brian Fuata’s ISLANDS, as a game which necessarily breaks down. He has long been concerned with improvised performance and collaborative experiments, with such projects as the FRASER STUDIO PERFORMANCES with numerous artists, and his work with Agatha Gothe-Snape in WrongSolo. Here he is devising a performance framework modeled on the ‘Chinese Whispers’ game, which will be enacted in collaborative sequence by each of the artists in Rules of Play. Fuata builds instructions for a performance to be transmitted, remembered, decayed and somehow sustained over the nine days of the exhibition.
The gallery becomes a rehearsal space as artists remember the hand-me-down story during gallery hours, and perform what they can to the public at the end of the day. Any failures and mistranslations between artists fold into the formula, which Fuata will receive and conclude in the final performance.
· Notes/Note taking will be allowed for your own record. You can bring them in as a prompt or script.
· After receiving the performance you have the following day from gallery opening hours til 5pm to rehearse.
· Performance of transmission begins at 5:30pm with the performances being earlier at 4:45pm.
· To reiterate your level of involvement, and I understand that this is quite an ask, I have asked you to be available for two days. One day to receive and the next to perform.
· In the end, allow your knowledge and experience of the game to guide you in your choices.
Saturday 10.09.11 _ BF to AGS
Thursday 15.09.11 _ AGS to MG
Friday 16.09.11 _ MG to TKP
Saturday 17.09.11 _ TKP to MP*
Thursday 22.09.11 _ MP to KG*
Friday 23.09.11 _ KG to BA*
Saturday 24.09.11 _ BA to NS*
Thursday 29.09.11 _ NS to SR
Saturday 01.10.11 _ SR to BF
Saturday Islands (2011)
Saturday performances at 4:45pm
Weekday performances at 5:30pm
BRIAN FUATA PRESENTS:
Images courtesy artists and taken by Kathryn Gray, Ian Holden, Michael Poetschko and Cindy Rodriguez.